Monday, June 21, 2010

Welcome

Hi.


Thanks for visiting my blog. I wanted to tell you a little bit about why I chose the name "No More Hydrangeas." as my blog title. I am an MFA student, studying Creative Nonfiction, and as part of my program requirements, I am working on a critical paper about the representation of poverty in the American South. As I was developing my topic, I found myself telling my faculty mentor that if I read another description of an old woman sitting on her front porch, fanning herself as she gazed at her full-bloomed hydrangea bush, I was going to puke. One of my goals as a writer is to strip off the flowery haze of the mysticism of the poor American South so that those who must survive it will not be lowered or elevated inappropriately.


But, this is not the only thing that my blog is about. Actually, I hardly will mention it again. I will be writing about my experience as an MFA student and all of the other aspects of my life as a writer.


Again, thanks for reading my blog. Please visit it again, and often.


Sincerely,
Kasey Ray-Stokes

No comments:

Post a Comment